Home | Membership | News | Diary | Walks | Calvocoressi Fund | Books | Journals | Links | Database | e-papers | About us

Notes and news — August 2019

In this issue:


1. The Thirteenth Annual General Meeting was held at 6.30pm on 15 May 2019 at The Gallery, Alan Baxter Ltd, 75 Cowcross St, EC1M 6EL. Our Chairman, Professor David Perrett, was in the chair. 50 members attended with apologies from 11 others.

2. In his report, the Chairman announced that 2018-19 had been another successful year and that the coming year is the society's 50th. This notable anniversary will be celebrated with a number of events which are detailed elsewhere in the Newsletter.

3. GLIAS has commented upon a number of major planning and listing applications including fast-disappearing gasholders and support to the campaign to save the Whitechapel Bell Foundry. The Chairman thanked our Vice-President, Malcolm Tucker, for his continuing diligence regarding such applications. He also thanked the remainder of the GLIAS Committee and other members who support the society, in particular Ruth Verrall who has retired from the Board and her husband Paul.

4. A grant from the Calvocoressi Fund has been made to Ursula Jeffries for researching aspects of the London printing industry, and a further grant has been offered to the House Mill at Three Mills. The fund remains open to requests for support to those undertaking research into London's IA.

5. As an educational charity GLIAS has arranged five free public lectures through the year, five summer walks, a visit to Morden College Blackheath and a pub evening where members presented their latest research. Six Newsletters and two Journals have been published. The database is being reformatted and reinvigorated.

6. For the first time in many years subscriptions to the society will be raised by approximately 15% in the coming summer. To mitigate further rising costs, members will be asked to volunteer to receive the Newsletter electronically rather than by post and about 50% of members at the meeting indicated a willingness to do so. The Chairman made it clear that this will be voluntary and a hard copy through the post will always be available for those members who wish it.

7. The Chairman thanked members for their continuing support but warned of falling membership (a problem common to many similar societies) and the urgent need for active support from more members in running the society. He asked for members to volunteer to help in however small a way.

8. The Treasurer, Daniel Hayton, reviewed the Treasurer's Report and Statement of Accounts which had already been circulated. He said that overall the society's finances are healthy although there is a slow decline in income because of falling membership and the cost of the Newsletter continues to rise. Nevertheless the society has sufficient reserves to satisfy Charity Commission rules though these reserves are falling slowly.

9. In accordance with the society's Memorandum and Articles of Association, Daniel Hayton, Tim Sidaway and Andrew Turner resigned as Directors but were duly re-elected. Professor David Perrett, Tim Sidaway, Daniel Hayton and Malcolm Tucker were re-elected as Chairman, Company Secretary, Treasurer and Vice President respectively.

10. Joel Kosminsky representing TfLISH Group thanked GLIAS for the Newsletter which he called an invaluable contribution to industrial history in London.

11. The AGM was followed by a lecture on Trinity Buoy Wharf and the proposed historic ships collection for London by Richard Albanese.
Tim Sidaway, GLIAS Secretary

GLIAS database

As mentioned in previous Newsletters, the GLIAS Database is in the process of being transferred to the Industrial Heritage Online website.

At the moment, it is necessary to sign in to the website to view the sites in London. Anyone who would like to view the London sites and perhaps help in updating them is welcome to apply for a personal login by emailing

The Industrial Heritage Online database can be found at At the moment the sites which can be viewed without signing in are mainly in Yorkshire but the area covered is being extended to a number of other counties.

Nestlé's factory at Hayes

Originally Eugene Sandow's Cocoa Works, the Nestlé factory at Hayes is being demolished. Two huge furnaces which burned coffee bean husks to generate heat and power will soon be no more.

Sandow building, approach from Nestlé's Avenue, © Bob Carr, 19 February 2013

In the heyday of these works 2,000 people were employed. Originally chocolate was produced on this site and later coffee. Nestlé acquired the works here in 1929 and this was the first factory outside Switzerland that produced Nescafé coffee.

There are four locally listed features on the site of this factory complex. Nestlé Works, the 1930s Main Factory Building by Wallis Gilbert & Partners, the former Nestlé canteen 1954, and the Works lodge together with gates and railings.

Eugene Sandow's Cocoa Works was established here in 1913. Born in Königsberg, Prussia, Eugene Sandow (1867-1925) was an international body-building phenomenon. Not just a showman, he became interested in setting up a business. Sandow realised that body-building contests weren't enough on which to build a permanent career. He needed a product to sell and decided that the product needed to reflect his own personality. Sandow built a brand around his name, over 30 years before such a modern marketing approach was adopted in the UK. Sandow claimed that drinking cocoa enhanced his body-building, and in 1911 he started his own factory in the New Kent Road for the production of 'Sandow's Health and Strength Cocoa'. Sandow moved to a new factory in Hayes in 1913 and for a time the production of Sandow's Cocoa flourished. Unfortunately success was not long-lived. Following the outbreak of the First World War in 1914, Sandow, a German national, was classified as an enemy and was forced to cease trading and in 1916 Sandow Ltd was compulsory liquidated. The factory was bought by the Swiss chocolate giant, PCK (Peter, Cailler, Kohler). In 1929 PCK was bought by the Nestlé company, formed by merger in 1905.

The factory area is bounded to the north by the Great Western railway line and the Grand Junction Canal, and to the southwest by Nestlé's Avenue — the road which led to the factory. Nestlé's Avenue used to be Sandow Avenue. Sandow Crescent, a cul-de-sac off Nestlé's Avenue, still exists. North Hyde Gardens bounds the industrial estate to the east.

This extensive factory estate contains some striking examples of Art Deco industrial architecture. The iconic Sandow building, 1913, will have its grand façade fully restored as part of a conversion for apartments. The original 1920s-style main office building and grand terrazzo staircase will also be retained and refurbished, together with more than 250 feet of 'Gothic' cast iron gates and railings.

The Sandow building is on the south side of the complex of buildings, facing south-west. It has an impressive landscaped approach from Nestlé's Avenue, see the photograph taken in February 2013 (above). Bob Carr

London Museum of Power & Steam

The end of July will see the very last steaming of the 1838 Maudslay, Field & Sons beam engine at Kew Bridge Pumping Station. This London-built engine was the first to be installed at the Chelsea waterworks when it opened on its new site having moved from Chelsea. The engine was later converted to work on the Cornish cycle in 1848 by Homersham and in 1888, the beam cracked and one half replaced. It was last used on water supply during the Second World War and like the other engines in the pumping station was preserved by the MWB. It was returned to steam in 1985 but like grandfather's axe little of the original engine survives. Parts of the engine are now in need of major repair so the Trust have decided to retire the engine. On the evening of 25 July, the engine will run under steam for the last time and the 20-ton beam will then be raised and blocked in its resting position. David Perrett

Brixton Windmill, Blenheim Gardens, SW2

Metal framed mini mill inside Brixton Windmill. Photo by permission of Friends of Windmill Gardens, the volunteers who organise the mill tours, 14 July 2019

David Flett has kindly told me about what he saw on a recent visit, which prompted my own on 14 July. The mill ceased to function with sails and wind power in 1864. Equipment which could be sold was, leaving items that could not be removed or had no value, within the brick tower. In about 1902 a 'set up anywhere' (eg, in a farm shed) compact mini mill was installed on the first floor (pictured right). This comprises a metal frame holding a set of stones with a drive gear beneath and includes a hand-crane to lift a stone. Power was initially from a steam engine, in a lean-to shed (the roof line remains as a mark on the mill exterior), presumably by belt rather than direct drive. That was replaced by a gas engine, then an electric motor, before the mill again ceased to be used in the 1930s.

Restoration has included re-equipping the mill with sails, a conventional pair of stones (second floor) and enough equipment to see how it worked under wind power, although this is not possible. The mini mill has a new electric motor and is run on mill open days, with a deep rumbling noise. The stones are completely encased, except for the flour shute, which feeds into a bag. The metal frame has the name R Waygood & Co, London. This firm's works, at one time called 'Newington Works', was at Falmouth Street, SE1. They combined with Otis to become Waygood-Otis in 1902 (info from Grace's Guide). Some excellent photographs of the compact mill are on a website produced by 'The Brockwell Bake Association', though they appear to be from before this mill was reactivated. A caption suggests it dates from about 1870, so was not new when installed.

While pre-booked 'full' tours visit the whole mill, 'short' ones do include the first floor and thus the mini mill. Open weekend afternoons, usually 2-5pm, for the rest of this year are: 10&11/8; 14&15 and 21&22/9; 12&13/10. David Thomas

Ram Brewery, Wandsworth

An article in The Times' business section on 10 July said that Sambrooks, a small brewery established in Wandsworth in 2008, would be taking over the historic brewery buildings in the old Ram Brewery. Youngs closed the site in 2006 and sold it to a property developer. That development has occurred and most of the site is now occupied with flats. A small brewing presence making about 20 pints a week has been kept on site so continuing the brewing tradition. The historic part of the brewery including its two beam engines of 1835 and 1867 by Wentworth & Sons of Wandsworth was mothballed. In late 2018 Dorothea Restoration Engineers modified the engines to be turned by electric drives. We look forward to hearing more of this very welcome development. David Perrett

Gone but not forgotten

Oxted gasholder. © Bob Carr

The gasholder at Oxted has finally been demolished; the last remains had gone by early April. Some people in the locality will be very pleased about this; there has been a vociferous local campaign to have this 'eyesore' removed. At the railway station a map showing the local streets and features of interest still marks the Gasholder quite prominently — it was a conspicuous landmark.

The Oxted gasholder was one of the Wiggins types which were something of a characteristic of Southern Gas. These were dry-seal holders which had a flexible curtain suspended from the piston*. They were quite a modern design dating from 1952 and in south east England five were built between 1964 and 1967. There were very few if any elsewhere in the country on public gas supply although there are or were examples in steelworks. The Oxted holder built in 1967 may have been the last Wiggins gasholder in southern England. There was one at Littlehampton, also 1967; does anyone know if it is still there? Bob Carr

Railway news

Azuma trains at King's Cross, 20 June 2019. © Bob Carr

Azuma trains have been on trial along the LNER main line railway to the north from King's Cross for many months. Now they are beginning to carry passengers, initially from London to Leeds. These new bi-mode multiple unit trains are being assembled at Newton Aycliffe, roughly 10 miles north of Darlington. Newton Aycliffe is on the Stockton & Darlington railway line between Darlington and Shildon.

To the north of King's Cross station work is taking place along a disused track bed on the east side of the line. This might be for new railway lines or perhaps a road? Similar activity is occurring to the south of Stevenage station on the west side of the railway. Again is this for new rail tracks or a road?

In the Lea Valley an extra rail line is being laid to the east alongside the present tracks and a new platform is being opened at Tottenham Hale railway station. This extra line commences at the new Meridian Water station (GLIAS Newsletter February 2019) and continues almost as far south as Lea Bridge. A new shuttle service to Stratford is proposed. These trains will stop at the recently reopened Lea Bridge station where close by monster flats are nearing completion (GLIAS Newsletter October 2017).

In south-east London commuters living to the northeast of Westcombe Park railway station were dismayed to find that the convenient level crossing from Fairthorn Road over the Angerstein branch railway was about to be closed. Strenuous local opposition aided by the Royal Borough of Greenwich has brought about at least a stay of execution. The crossing, now almost unique in Greater London, provides a pedestrian route to the station and has also been suggested as part of a quiet walking route from Westcombe Park station to the recently opened IKEA store. This crossing is at TQ 403 782 near Farmdale Road. For more information see the Greenwich & Lewisham Weekender, 8 May 2019, p14*. Bob Carr

Manor House and the New River Path

This walk should take about 50 to 60 minutes and is a mix of pavement, busy and relatively quiet footpath.

1. Manor House Tube station, Piccadilly Line, 1932. Start in the circulating area beneath the road junction where a glass display case wrapped around a column has some photographs of the station being built. The design included step access to road-centre tram stops.


2. Take exit 1, to Manor House pub, 1931 rebuild, and continue alongside the adjacent two-storey brick building to the central doorway topped by ceramic letters MET. The HQ of Metropolitan Electric Tramways1 (photo 1). Behind was an earlier horse tram depot, with access from Green Lanes. After a few years that became an infrastructure store and workshop. As such it served electric tram (finished here 1938) and then trolleybus routes before becoming a commercial garage/warehouse. To see the current roof and thus extent of the covered depot, walk a little further, and turn left into the courtyard of Havering House, and up the 60+ stairs to the top open walkway. Discretely — notices warn of police surveillance. Return and cross the road to see the full façade (photo 2). As Chris Rule has pointed out, the gables once ended louvres running along the roof ridges. The offices were used by a London bus company well into the 1980s. (Note: in July 2019 the offices were being refurbished and had hoarding; see the doorway through a 'peep hole').

3. Go a short distance west and gently downhill on the east side of Green Lanes, noticing the London County Council Tramways pavement covers (photo 3). Soon on the left is the John Scott Health Centre, named after a LCC Medical Officer of Health. It well deserves its Grade 2 'listing' for innovative inclusive social and health provision2. If here when it is open (Mon to Fri until 1830), look just to the left inside the central revolving doors for a modest plaque, unveiled in 1965.

4. Continue to the pedestrian crossing by which time six tramway pavement covers will have been passed, and Green Lanes pumping station looms large. The road rises slightly with a brick wall on the left, which is a parapet of a bridge over the former course of the New River. Across the road, the brick wall with iron railings, now the boundary of a housing development, was built alongside a total of nine filter beds, with a combined surface area of over nine acres. You'd never guess — but there is a memento. Go ahead on the entrance road and bear right alongside the hedge, looking for a gap through which to see an unlikely sculpture of large pipes (photo 4).


5. Return to Green Lanes, taking in the imposing façade of the pumping station, opened in 1856 (photo 5).This had six beam engine pumps and no less than 18 boilers, with steam pressure at a modest 40 psi. A non-beam Worthington engine was added in 1888, with four replacement boilers at 80 psi3. The square-topped tower held a water tank to prime the pumps. To the right (south east) there was an associated Company house. Depending on vegetation, it should be possible to see at least one of the painted small iron plates with the date 1855 and lettering. Not 'New River', but the name of their Engineer, Mr Mylne (photo 6). Bob Carr wrote in GLIAS Newsletter 155 about then-novel plans to convert the redundant building into an indoor climbing centre. This was done very successfully, with frames attached to the walls onto which are screwed boards with features to give a variety of climbing routes of different degrees of difficulty. These now include the basement wells. Some mezzanine floors have been inserted to create additional floor areas. Some of the suggested features (eg, a bar) have not (yet?) been developed. As a member and regular indoor climber, I always enjoy sessions here.

6. Cross Green Lanes and take the New River footpath behind the small hut at the entrance to the 'Castle'. Although its bed goes as far as the road bridge, the New River has long been piped from here. It formerly continued in a loop beyond the filter beds. Pass the office, with its plain addition of 1900, and ancillary buildings, such as coal store and workshops and, on the left, a footbridge, returned to later. Ahead is a mid-1930s building associated with filtering, now part activities centre and part cafe (photo 7). That is currently (summer time) usually open daily until 5pm, but the building also advertises itself for hire as a wedding, etc. venue. Behind is one of two reservoirs.


7. Return to the footbridge and walk alongside the New River in a north-easterly direction, passing new blocks of flats, until reaching and turning right over Lordship Road bridge. Continue down the road about 100 yards until nearly level with a yellow brick building at a higher level on the left, east, side (photo 8). An inscription on the west end reads: 'These reservoirs the property of the New River Company were begun in the year 1830 and completed in the year 1833 under the direction of Mr William Chadwell Mylne their engineer. Robert Percy Smith Esq Governor.'

This is the best place to photograph the building. As the 'Coal House café' it has a large awning on the other side. That name may be fictitious; its 'listing' calls it a 'gas house', which Malcolm Tucker suggests could refer to chlorine gas for water purification4. (Any help in clarifying this would be welcome). Return to the bridge and continue the walk. Soon a wooden door on the right leads into 'Woodberry Wetlands' property, with a path which can be followed around the eastern side of this second reservoir. It is closed at 5pm daily (summer; earlier in winter) and 'as needed'.

8. Whichever path is taken, look out for the low brick building across the New River. This contains a sluice which can be dropped to divert the water flow into the reservoir. The path continues across a lane through a kissing gate to Seven Sisters Road. Traffic flows are somewhat unexpected; traffic light crossings are nearby.

9. Take a further kissing gate back onto the footpath, now heading westwards. The New River is cut into the side of a hill, overlooking appropriately named Vale Road, where the factory and chimney of the factory built for Maynards Ltd, makers of confectionery (eg wine gums), and now in other use, stands amid industrial buildings. First part c.1906; extended (photo 9). (To be included in a 'stroll' in a future Newsletter). All too soon the path ends at Green Lanes. Turn left, up the hill which the just-walked New River loop avoids. In about 400 yards, and approaching Manor House tube station, the onetime entrance to the tram depot is passed, between shops numbers 318 and 316. David Thomas

Woolwich and Greenwich ferries

Two new vessels built at Gdansk in Poland are now operating the Woolwich Ferry across the Thames from Woolwich to North Woolwich. These replaced three diesel-engined Voith-Schneider craft built in Dundee in the 1960s. Before this there were four paddle steamers driven by reciprocating steam engines. Back in the 1950s the river was very busy with shipping and needless to say crossing on one of the paddle steamers was of considerable enthusiast interest (GLIAS Newsletter October 2011). An article in the Model Engineer by C E Page, 2 February 1956, pp182-3, is packed with detailed information on the Woolwich Ferries at that time.

Also of considerable interest this article contains a detailed account of the Greenwich steam ferry which had an elaborate arrangement of mobile landing stages and connecting platforms which ensured that the roadway to and from the ferry remained absolutely level. A heavily laden horse-drawn vehicle would not have had the difficulty usually experienced negotiating inclined ramps to get on and off a ferry. Maximum loads could be taken across the river.

This ferry operated in the later 19th century, from February 1888 until about 1899. Situated at TQ 380 780, the ferry connected Greenwich with North Greenwich which we would also know as Millwall; it ran from what is now Wood Wharf to Ferry Road on the Isle of Dogs. To allow for the varying height of the river, on both sides of the Thames 53 foot wide runways 348 feet long were built on the foreshore with a gradient of 1 in 10. On these runways were four parallel sets of railway tracks. Down each set of rails ran a 70 ft by 60 ft landing stage that was connected with the top by two travelling platforms, each 60ft by 23ft. The landing stages and the travelling platforms were counterbalanced by heavy weights on the end of steel cables which hung down wells sunk alongside the approach roads to the ferry. On each side of the river the movement of the landing stage and platforms was effected by a two-cylinder high-pressure winding engine. The remains of the runways are still there.

The Model Engineer also describes in commendable detail the two double-ended sister ships of about 467 tons that operated the ferry service. Called the Countess of Latham and the Countess of Zetland, these were 120 feet long with a beam of 40 feet. Their engines were built by Appleby Bros of East Greenwich. The article ends by describing the fate of the Countess of Zetland after the closure of the Greenwich ferry. Zetland went to Southsea and renamed Hayling was used by the Southsea and Hayling Steam Ferry Co. In 1902 she was sold to German owners and continued to work as the Unterelbe, presumably on the lower reaches of the river Elbe operating a ferry. The Unterelbe is the part of the Elbe from a short way above Hamburg down to Cuxhaven.

The article in Model Engineer is a mine of information and the above omits a great amount of detail. The periodical showed continuing interest in the Woolwich Free Ferry, in the Model Engineer for 21 June 1956, a letter on page 1043 refers to this Ferry. The letter mentions an article 'The power behind the ferry' that had appeared on May 24, and points out that a photograph is mis-captioned. The 'engine-room controls' showed the controls on the floating landing pontoon for raising and lowering the ramps over which wheeled traffic boarded the ferry. Was this an electrically powered installation or perhaps hydraulic — since there was confusion with a steamship engine room it might even have been steam, does anyone remember the arrangements at the pre 1960s ferry?

The Woolwich Ferry is still necessary because lorries carrying hazardous loads are prohibited from passing through the Blackwall and Dartford Tunnels. Outsize loads can also be taken across the river. Bob Carr

English Oilfields Limited

I am not local but my father, who lived in Dagenham, was a GLIAS member and when he passed away in 1995 I decided to continue membership in his memory. I have taken over all of his paperwork and books as my sisters were not interested.

Living in West Winch near King's Lynn I have become interested in my local history.

I worked for a company called Metal Scrap & By-Products Ltd. who purchased the R.E.M.E. depot in West Winch, near King's Lynn, in 1962 to extend the company's business as they had outgrown 'Old School Wharf' in Leamouth Road, Poplar.

MSBP also purchased some farmland that abutted the works, this included a small quarry, see later.

One day at work in the early 1970s we were paid a visit by Mr Ramues Gallois of The Institute of Geological Sciences, who had been given a grant to re-investigate anywhere in the UK that had previously sought to extract oil.

At the time there was an oil shortage, some of you may remember that we were issued with petrol coupons!

A medical doctor from Aberdeenshire, Dr William Forbes-Leslie went to South Africa and came back as a self-proclaimed Oil Expert and Geologist. He was obviously a very good talker as he got many people to invest in his scheme, these were mainly local farmers that were promised many things in return for leasing their land to him. The promises included: payment of £5 per acre if used by the company, plus by-products such as Toluene, Benzol, Phenol, Icthyol, Aniline for dye products, bitumen, paraffin wax, coal, cannel(a type of coal), shale & oil, Ironstone, gravel, oil brine, salt, clay if sold, sand etc. for which farmers would be paid royalties.

With leases of up to 60 years obtained, production of 1,000 tons of shale per day producing 35 gallons of crude oil, 70lbs sulphate of ammonia, all of this for 35 years, things were got under way.

Nearly one million £1 shares were sold, the processing plant in the next village of Setch was started with a standard gauge railway line from the Great Eastern Railway Ely to King's Lynn section, laid into these works. Railway wagons were purchased and work started on digging the quarry that Mr Gallois later inspected, plus two mines near the quarry. Many wooden buildings were erected for workshops, canteen, dormitories, power house, engine shed etc. At its height, they had their own Policeman, Doctor, Ambulance, even their own football team that played King's Lynn reserves during March 1920.

However, all of this was for show, real money was spent but Forbes-Leslie was gone by 1921 although he did re-appear in Somerset in 1924.

In 1935 he was convicted of fraud at the Old Bailey when he was age 70.

At a meeting of the shareholders, reported in the Lynn Advertiser on 6/1/1928 it was said that no accounts had been presented for nearly three years.

Sir Harry Foster, formerly MP for Lowestoft division had 11,000 shares, some purchased at £4 each. He was seeking to write down the capital, of which it was obvious three quarters was lost. He went on to say that five years ago, the cash at the bank was £129,000 while today it was £81!

Of the £129,000 — £35,000 discharged old debts. £10,000 went to the Neverstop Railway Company (at the 1924 & 1925 Wembley Exhibitions) and £40,000 was invested in New South Wales?

Mr Reevely (a shareholder) asked if there was any possibility of recovering anything from the wreck of this sorrowful concern.

A Mr Ralph Capstick was employed to tidy things up after the Second World War and he oversaw a small laboratory size production of some form of oil for skin treatment, plus the sale of imported oil under the name Technical Oils. David Apps

The English Oilfields works at Setch, Norfolk under construction. The photo is taken from the top of the chimney in about 1920.The view is looking north and the road at right is now the A10.

The chimney that the first picture was taken from. The photographers tripod can be seen at the top. The chimney, a local landmark for years was demolished on 31st May 1961.

An inspection by the manager Mr Porritt and others at the quarry that the shale was being dug from. The site of Mr. Gallois inspection in the 1970s. The shale was moved to the works in picture No 1 by 2'-0

The Fireless Loco that English Oilfields used at Setch. Not taken at the same time as the previous pictures which were, I suspect, glass plate negatives. This one is a 'box brownie' type. The chap second from right is Bert Bocking, who used to live in my house.

Information required

I am researching the history of the Old Romford Canal for a project which I am working on. Does anyone have any information available on it please?
Andrew Francis, Planning Archaeologist.Tel: 020 7410 2267. Email:

I am researching the Grove Road area of Chadwell Heath, especially the Metropolitan Cable Works, which was extant until the 1970s or so.
I wonder if GLIAS might have any information about this, or can point me to any relevant sources.
Roy Jones, Lyme Regis, Devon. Tel: 01297 443737. Email:

GLIAS 50th year celebratory meal

To celebrate our 50th anniversary, GLIAS is arranging a lunch on Saturday 12 October 2019 in the Parcel Yard pub in King's Cross station. The meal will cost approximately £35 to cover three courses, coffee and service; vegetarian and vegan options are available.

50% of the places have already been booked; we suggest that you make your reservation soon by contacting Tim Sidaway on 01923-269317 / or sending a deposit of £10pp to 36 Gallows Hill Lane, Abbots Langley, Hertfordshire, WD5 0DA.

GLIAS @ 50: Celebrating The Capital's Industrial Heritage

In conjunction with the U3A SE London and the LMA, GLIAS has arranged a day school on Friday 4 October at London Metropolitan Archives, near Farringdon station, to celebrate GLIAS's 50th anniversary. Book via Eventbrite. The LMA's capacity is only 150 so book now.

Next issue >>>

© GLIAS, 2019