Notes and news — June 1972
In this issue:
Lombard Power Station
- Lombard Power Station
- Woolwich Dockyard
- British Film Institute/GLIAS
- Weald And Downland Open-Air Museum
Lombard Road Power Station, in Harroway Road, Battersea, has been closed down. Built in 1901, the station generated direct current, and was expanded steadily until in 1925 a 10,000 kilowatt set needed a tunnel driven out into the Thames to provide cooling water. Eventually the station was putting out 50,000 kilowatts. Coal supplies were brought by road and river. The station has been gradually run down, being used to generate power during peak demands, and was last used at full strength during the power crisis a few months ago.
This 23-acre site has been acquired by the Borough of Greenwich and is due for redevelopment. Plans are afoot to start construction of housing, offices and an industrial area in mid-1973. The site has had a continuous history of naval dockyard activity for over 300 years, beginning when the 'Great Harry' was laid down in 1513. It is possible that a medieval boatyard existed before the very important Tudor one. Several buildings on the site are already scheduled and thus protected from arbitrary demolition. The Borough Architect is arranging for a dig to take place, but apparently there is little enthusiasm amongst archaeologists.
British Film Institute/GLIAS
Considerable progress has been made on this project, ten films or sections of films have been printed on 16mm; in mid-June we will be looking at these again in detail with the aim of compiling notes to be made available with the film.
The first showing of the programme will be at the National Film Theatre, in early January 1973. After that the collection will be available for loan through BFI. Our work on this project has prompted the Institute to start a section in its catalogue on Industrial Archaeology, which should give these particular archive films an even wider audience.
Museums No. 3: Weald And Downland Open-Air Museum
A few miles to the north of Chichester a group of vernacular buildings, mainly from West Sussex and Hampshire, has been erected. The site of about 35 acres is in a quiet wooded valley at Singleton. So far there are nine buildings, including a tread wheel, a group of charcoal-burners' huts, a magnificent 15th-century Hall, and a wheelwright's shop and forge. They have all been rescued either from a state of dereliction, or from the threat of demolition. Ultimately about 35 buildings will be re-erected at Singleton. The collection so far is already well worth a visit.
The museum is open from 11.00 to 18.00 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays and Bank Holidays until 1st October this year.
Next issue >>>
© GLIAS, 1972