GLIAS

GREATER LONDON INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY SOCIETY

Home | Membership | News | Diary | Courses | Noticeboard | Books | Journals | Links | Database | e-papers | Contact

Notes and news — October 1971

In this issue:

London Transport collection

At the most recent GLIAS Workshop at Hammersmith, Mr Percy Silverlock of London Transport outlined London Transport's proposals for housing their part of the collection of Historical Relics. These are currently housed at the Museum of British Transport, which is shortly to close. Mr. Silverlock has been appointed by London Transport to take care of the London exhibits and it seems that proposals at the moment suggest that the rail exhibits, with some others earmarked for preservation, will be housed temporarily in the old steam locoshed at Neasden Depot. Road exhibits will go either to Twickenham or Fulwell Garages. In both cases the collections will not normally be open to the general public, but are likely to be accessible to interested parties by arrangement.

London Transport are looking for a more permanent place, where the whole of their Historical Relics can go on display, perhaps as part of a larger museum collection. But they mean to see that, until this can be achieved, their relics will be safely housed and looked after, somewhere in London. This is good to know. P.S.C.

Broad gauge rail track

Some of the original broad gauge rail track designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel has been found in Uxbridge Nature Reserve. The tracks were originally part of the London to Bristol line. Locally, this broad gauge line comprised the West Drayton to Uxbridge (Vine Street) branch. The lines, of Brunel's design, are steel and therefore post-Brunel, who worked in wrought iron. The broad gauge was not used after 1854. The tracks are now at Brunel University, which has a large collection of Brunel's work.

H.M.S. Gannet

The sloop H.M.S. Gannet, only survivor of the transition from sail to steam, has been handed over by the Navy at Portsmouth to the Maritime Trust for preservation. Built at Sheerness in 1878 with an oak hull and iron frames and rigged as a barque, the Gannet had steam propulsion as well and belonged to the 'up funnel, down screw' days. The Maritime Trust, formed in early 1970, aims to preserve historic ships in the way the National Trust looks after buildings.

London Waterworks Cornish Engines

Peter Turvey has been gathering information about the Cornish Engines employed in the London Waterworks, with a view to making a list of all such engines in London. Anyone who is interested in these engines and wants to know more, or could give Mr. Turvey any information which he may not already have, please contact him at 87 Streatfield Road, Kenton, Harrow, Middlesex.

Next issue >>>


© GLIAS, 1971