Notes and news — June 1971
In this issue:
Caledonian Market Clock Tower
- Caledonian Market Clock Tower
- Albert Bridge Public Inquiry
- Limehouse Winch
- National Rail Museum for York
The 160ft high Caledonian Market Tower, designed as part of the Metropolitan Meat Market by James Bunning in 1855, is being restored this summer by the GLC to form the centrepiece of a new park. The market closed in 1939 and lay derelict until the GLC built a housing estate, which the park will serve.
Albert Bridge Public Inquiry
There will be a public inquiry into the GLC's proposals to erect a temporary pier under the bridge (GLIAS Newsletter April 1971). It will be held on Thursday 1st July at Kensington Town Hall. Contact Mrs Christine Lewis of the Albert Bridge Group at 31 Warriner Gardens, SW11, for more information. The Society will be represented at this inquiry.
The winch (GLIAS Newsletter April 1971) has now been dismantled and put in store by members of the BOG (Edmonton) LA Group, under the direction of Hugh Morrison. We now await the decision of the British Waterways Board as to where the winch will be re-erected.
National Rail Museum for York
The Government has decided to establish the National Railway Museum at York, rejecting the alternative proposal for a Transport Museum at Crystal Palace. The Clapham Transport Museum will be closed, rail material being transferred to York, while the Government is to consult with the GLC and the Science Museum on the storage of the road transport collection in London until it can be displayed again.
Next issue >>>
© GLIAS, 1971